Thursday, April 2, 2009

Random Friends



For the past several weeks I have been attending a dance class that teaches many of the same Latin dances that we learned during culture day at the school. This has been one of my favorite activities here, not only because it is super fun, but because these classes have given me another opportunity to make some random friends. These dashing young men in the picture are (From left to right) Diego, Alex, and Walter - and all three are 15 years-old. It has become quite fun to get to know them, and learn from them as well. They have English homework that they will sometimes bring to class so that we can help them, and we in turn ask them our interview questions in Spanish. Diego and Alex have been renamed "Michael (as in Jackson) and Prince (as in the artist formerly known as . . .) by our instructor Javier, due to their own dance styles that they like to incorporate into the traditional salsa and merengue!
These boys remind me a lot of my dear Mexican sweetheart, Jose, that I've been able to develop a relationship with over the past 8 years. I think that Jose would get along really well with Diego and Alex. These boys have cracked me up more than once with their fake tears whenever the subject of our departure is brought up. Each week they ask us when we will come back to Costa Rica, and each week they try to get us to stay :)
Again, I have loved the random places that I've found new friends here in Costa Rica, and part of me is sad knowing that I will soon have to say goodbye to them.

3 comments:

Ashley Hoover said...

Those random friendships are amazing! Definetly to be treasured. How much longer are you there?

Bethany Kerr said...

Hey! How great to hear from you guys! I'm only here in Costa Rica for three more weeks before taking off for Peru. The time went really fast, and I'm going to hate to say goodbye to the people I've met here, but I'm so ready to get to Peru :)

Ashley Hoover said...

I can totally relate! Saying goodbye is hard but to finally be headed to where you've worked for and prepared to be is exciting!!!
Enjoy your last weeks in Costa Rica!