Monday, April 13, 2009

Potluck brunch, Eduardo, and Dominos = the most fabulous Easter Sunday






. . . After being picked up by Cathi an hour after arriving back in town, I settled into the Duggan home to enjoy what was left of Easter weekend. After a couple of games of "Clue", I showered and got myself cleaned up, and was fed "pizzadillas"(quesadillas filled with pizza makings) by Kerri the Duggan's 17 year-old daughter. Delicious, everyone should go home and make one right now. I was pretty exhausted from our travels the past few days, so I was pretty pathetic that night, especially after I had eaten. Brian informed me that all of the ReachGlobal staff working at Prometa (the online seminary), would be coming over the following morning at 6:30am for a sunrise service and brunch, so I was extra motivated to tuck myself in at 9:30pm. !Que rico dormir!

6:30 came quickly, and after I had given myself my one and only allowed snooze period, I got up and met everyone outside for the service. It was super informal, but perfect for the environment and life season I am in. I was thankful for an opportunity to worship with fellow Americans, as resurrection Sunday is not the emphasis of Holy Week here. After some worship (played by Brian and his son Ben) Becky Fernandez read to us the Easter story, and Bob gave a short message on the importance of knowing the Father.

And then came the food.
After we were done with our service, all the women rushed to the kitchen to put out egg casseroles, homemade breads, gayo pinto, fresh fruit, bacon and all sorts of amazing-ness for the mouth. It was quite the spread, and so greatly enjoyed by all. My friend Eduardo contributed a jar of homemade spicy pickled veggies, which he gave me a hard time for not trying. So I went back to grab a spoonful, and ate a slice of onion with my gayo pinto. It wasn't bad, so I got a little bolder and tried a thin slice of red pepper. Big mistake. I don't think I've ever experienced such an intense burning sensation all of the way down my throat. My eyes were tearing up, and of course Eduardo was on the floor making fun of me. After a few minutes I was starting to get a little worried because the burning sensation wasn't going away. I had to resort to milk and bread to end my agony. In the end, my sinuses were cleared, and Eduardo had a good laugh.

Everyone cleared out mid-morning except myself and Eduardo. We sat around out on the porch for awhile and just talked and relaxed and told stories, and tried to think of someone for Eduardo to marry. He is a complete bachelor in his later 40's, and is in need of a wife. We weren't getting too far though, because Eduardo has a hard time staying serious for any length of time :) We resulted to playing the greatest game I've played in a long time: Mexican Train. It's a form of dominos, but with some extra rules to spice it up. After about two hours I proudly won the game, and we took a break to enjoy Easter Dinner.

Cathi is a gourmet, and has protected her stores to provide a most delicious Easter Dinner. Roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, beans, corn casserole, and wild rice! It was like we were in the states enjoying the holiday with the family. Eduardo stayed for Dinner, and we were able to share in the blessings that the Lord had provided.

The rest of the day was spent talking to the folks and the BF, working a little bit with Brian, trying to get some stuff worked out before I leave Costa Rica, and a little bit of Food Network.
It was more than I could have asked for, and I was so thankful that I didn't have to spend the day alone in my room. I am grateful that God has blessed me with such wonderful friends and a surrogate family here. He has provided for every need, and blessed me abundantly. I hope that you all had a blessed Resurrection Sunday yourselves and were able to share in the joy of the knowledge that "He is Risen! He is Risen Indeed!"

1 comment:

JEM said...

I am so glad to see you being taken care of!

Your big!