Saturday, April 18, 2009

Lo que paso, paso.






This week has passed by so quickly that I'm a little worried about my last 8 days here. Yep, you read right, I only have 8 days left here in Costa Rica. Que lastima! I can't even believe that in one week I will be in Dallas and in two weeks I'll be in Lima. The craziest thing is that I'm just plain not ready to leave. I have fallen so in love with this country, this culture and these people that I know that I will grieve leaving. But I have come to be so thankful that it will hurt to leave. God has so blessed my time here and I'm grateful for all of the experiences I've had, for all of the people I've met, and for the time of intensive study.

This week has been interesting in another light because I've been spending a lot of time reflecting on the months spent here, and the regrets I've had, or the things I wish I would have done differently. Namely, I wish I would have been more bold, less shy, in pursing things here on my own. I met a professor this week that I wish I would have met my first week here. I'm going to a Spanish church tonight that I wish I would have started attending when I first arrived. I wish I would have initiated more with Ticos and my host family, and that I would have taken more risks in putting myself out there. Don't get me wrong. I've had an incredible four months here, but I think that it could have been even better if I would have been a little more extroverted from the start. Surprising? I can be completely timid in unknown situations and a room full of people I don't already know.

This week consisted of a final oral exam known as the "Eco" to place the level of my functional Spanish (I'll get the results back Monday), as well as a quiz and a test in grammar. My lenguaje class went to McDonald's on Wednesday morning to celebrate the completion of the trimester, and guess what I ordered? McPinto! Yes, Costa Rican McDonald's are proud to offer you rice and beans! Actually it was really delicious, and I was glad that I stuck with the norm here :) The McCafe's are super nice here as well and we all treated ourselves to fancy coffee at breakfast.
I've also been spending this week getting pictures of the people and places that I've spent the most time with/at. Our favorite waiter at Otero's the pizza parlor is named Edwin. We have nicknamed him "smiley" because he is always smiling when we come in to eat pizza. I've loved have Pizza Thursday's here, and that is definitely one thing I will miss when I leave.

I know this next week is going to be a week of "lasts" not altogether unlike my last week in the states. It will consist of a lot of picture taking and a lot of goodbyes, as is normal in life. I am so thankful for my time here and will be looking forward to the first opportunity to come back.

Peace.

No comments: