Friday, January 30, 2009

School House Rock doesn't translate

Does anyone remember School House Rock? It was an educational cartoon dedicated to teaching young children all sorts of subjects through song and animation. For example:
"Conjunction junction what's your function?" was a train-themed English lesson, or, "Bill, bill, on capitol hill" was a lesson on how bills became laws. It was an amazing tool because the songs were so catchy and it definitely helped with learning certain concepts. I can still remember the preamble of the constitution because of the School House Rock song I learned in grade school.

I'm learning the unfortunate reality that School House Rock doesn't translate here. We've been spending the last few days going over pronouns in my grammar class. It's been tricky to re-learn things that I learned wrong in college, and to stay consistent when we practice. Its irritating because we all feel like 5 year-olds trying to remember where the place the correct pronoun in relation to the subject. I'm actually getting an English language review with all of the Spanish grammar I'm learning. I know that my classmates and I will pick it up with a little more practice, but I can't help but wish we had a couple of Spanish episodes of School House Rock :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just want you to know we think of you all the time and pray for you every night and at lunch. You're doing great! We love you.
xo,
J.A.C.S.L.