Sunday, January 18, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me


So I've just spent my very first birthday away from home. The first in 23 years! I was very blessed to have had the Lincoln team here in Costa Rica with me this week, for they brought many birthday cards, gifts and wishes from home. All of which made me feel far from alone on my birthday. Thank you all who sent such wonderful encouragement to me. (This photo is of myself and Meredith McAllister, the woman I will be working with in Tara, Peru.)

Today is the 5th day of the Latin American Area Conference, and I finally feel like I'm "making friends" here with the career missionaries. I confessed earlier in the week that I felt very much like the little girl in the adult sunday school class, and watching all of these seasoned and experienced missionaries cast vision has been both incredible and intimidating. Last night was the first time that we were given to get together as a team - so it was the first time that I was able to sit down and converse with the people on my team: Church Planting. Mike and Linda Gunderson, who are currently in Brazil are taking the position as Church planting leaders for Latin America, and Mike will soon become my "boss". ReachGlobal is continuing to make positive changes and transitions as they focus more and more on their mission to Develop, Empower and Release national Christians into their own cultures. It is neat to now be part of the process.

(I thought I would include a little jungle culture for you all to enjoy: Lesson one, Don't feed the monkeys!)

3 comments:

Berit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Berit said...

Ugh, missing your birthday, not my favorite part of you being gone. I'm excited that you got to be surrounded by people, many of whom were familiar faces. Talking to you tonight was just fabulous and you have such a great heart and head for this journey. I'm sure that your wisdom is evident to each and everyone of those old folks in the adult Sunday school =). Okay, yay for being back though and yay receiving a card/b-day present (late) from me asap. LOVE AND MISS!!!

Berit said...

Okay, random, but my first comment was posted as if it were from my internship agency (assist her) so I deleted it and reposted it under my name. Whoops