Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Earthquakes and Mailboxes

Well, I tried to upload some pictures of the language school, but for some reason, it was having problems. But hopefully I can get that fixed because the campus is beautiful, and there is a lot of green, trees and flowers. Here at the school, I have a mailbox, which is where I will get mail from home. I know several people have been asking for my address so here it is:

Bethany Kerr
Instituto de Lengua Espanola
Apartado 100-2350
San Jose, Costa Rica
America Central

It is best that you send mail to this address because the streets aren't named here, and giving someone an address is something like this: "my house is by where the big palm tree used to be, 5 blocks south of the Jumbo, and across the street from where Emily's grandmother lives".

Apparently, San Jose is used to experiencing regular earthquakes. We experienced our first today during an orientation session on safety :) I have to say, it was a cool sensation to feel the floor vibrating beneath my feet, and seeing the building sway as though a giant wind had just blown in! (But don't tell my mom I said that!) I guess it was really only a tremor, but it was still cool to experience.

1 comment:

Berit said...

I heard that as of today, the official death toll on the earth quake is 18. I've been thanking God a lot today that you only felt a tremor, because apparently, it could have been WAY worse.

Miss and Love...lots.