Monday, January 5, 2009

Bienvenidos a Costa Rica

I have officially arrived in San Jose, after a somewhat bumpy start (due to an overweight suitcase and a 50lb embargo limit :), and have settled into my new host home. I am living in a beautiful Tico home with my host parents, Josefa and Alfredo, and am only a 5min. walk from the school. The window in my bedroom overlooks a park full of trees, but the street that separates the park from my house is a busy one, and I am constantly serenaded bu the sounds of car horns, exhaust pipes backfiring, and barking dogs! I am blessed to be living with a Christian family, and have the added bonus of having internet in my bedroom.
I haven't had to do too much on my own yet, as Brian and Cathi Duggan (the ReachGlobal area leaders for all of Latin America) have welcomed me as a surrogate daughter and have taken time to show me the ropes. After the Duggan's picked me up from the airport, they took me for my first Costa Rican meal. According to the menu I ordered ensalada de fruta (fruit salad), but what came out looked more like a bananna split! And it was delicious.
Not to rub it in, but the weather is gorgeous! I arrived just in time for the best weather of the year, and was fortunate enough to miss the rainy season. 70degrees and Sunny is the normal day, and today I am comfortably writing you in jeans, a tank top, and flip flops :) I hope to post a video of the scenery and surrounding areas soon, so be on the lookout.
I begin my first day of orientation tomorrow at 7:45 am, and am not quite certain what to expect. I would love your prayers as I continue to get to know the area and neighborhood in which I am living, and learn how to used the money here. I am so thankful for all of your prayers and support, and know that God has shown me an abundance of grace because of them. I'll be updating again soon!

Buenos!
Bethany

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so surprised to come to the computer tonight and find this info from you already. Technology is wonderful. I hope that you can adjust to the noise outside your window and get some rest. We are praying for you.

Mary Ann Hultstrand

Berit said...

eeeeeeeeeh (that is supposed to be a long, drawn-out whine), I MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy that you are surrounded by good and welcoming people. I'm praying for you and thinking about you all the time. Your prayer card is my bookmark so I get to think of you everytime I turn the page =). Okay, I'll talk to you soon, but seriously, I miss you.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, Bethany -
We are back home after our two week trip to Texas. We also enjoyed the weather of Corpus Christi, but of course the highlight was the wedding. It was so good to have family and a few friends come - Corpus is a long drive for anyone, so we were thrilled to see those who made the trip. We miss you and are praying for you. Thanks for the update. Betty