Tuesday, June 16, 2009

When the day doesn't quite go according to plan

So funny story about my day.
During my first few weeks here I met a young Peruvian woman here who is studying to become an architect. Her name is Cristina and she lives just about 5 or 6 blocks for my house, so we’ve decided to hook up every week or so and become conversation partners for each other. She has studied some English and really wants to practice, and I of course, need all the practice I can get my hands on. I’m excited about this because of the opportunity to start developing a relationship with her and through that hopefully move into more of a discipleship relationship, especially since we are unsure about where she is at with her faith.
Anyway, about my funny story – I was going to go over to her house today for lunch at 12:30. So I got myself ready for the day, grabbed a stack of letters that I wanted to mail on the way and prepared to leave just before 12:00. Personal security is a way of life here in Latin America, and Peru is no different. It takes me three different keys to open the locks of three different doors to actually stand inside my apartment. This is fairly good security and hasn’t been a problem . . . that is until today. As I was walked out of our front door and inserted my key into our gate I realized pretty quickly that the insides of the lock seemed a little loose and upon turning the key I realized that the safety bars were not sliding back. So I stepped back and thought for a moment, then attempted to do all of the things you are supposed to do with broken locks. I jiggled the key and lock, I attempted to reach through the bars and open it from the outside, I yelled at it. Okay, not really, but I was late and a little dumbfounded by the knowledge that yes indeed, I have become a prisoner in my own home. Literally. Elsa didn’t have much luck either, so here I am, having called Cristina and trying my best to convey how sorry I was for having to cancel right when I was supposed to have arrived, laughing to myself at the silliness of the situation we have found ourselves in. Not exactly sure what we are going to do about this, but for now I will kick back, and enjoy the fact that my mom just send me package of Twizzlers. Ahhhh, the power of receiving mail from home :)

No comments: