Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Personal Retreat Day

All ReachGlobal staff is supposed to take one PRD, or Personal Retreat Day, each month. The idea is to take a day away from your normal schedule to realign your spiritual and ministry life. It is a chance to clear the cob webs from life and ministry and frankly, it is a chance for you to step aside from your life and talk to, and listen to God. For us missionaries, this is a day to look at our KRA's (Key Results Areas - basically ministry goals) to see where we are, it is a chance to step away from ministry and refuel, however you need to.
Today I took my first PRD as a missionary and I will admit that it is something that I find super helpful. I've noticed since being here in Peru that in spite of my acknowledged extrovertedness, I have really craved and desired alone time. My PRD today has allowed for that refueling. I started off the day with a quick run, then a shower, then I packed up my computer and books and headed to the place where I get the most effective studying done: Starbucks. Oh yes, Lima has Starbucks, it has McDonald's, KFC, and Pizza Hut too! Anyway, I went to Starbucks, got my vanilla late, and settled in for a day of productivity - all alone in a room full of people unassociated with myself. Glory!
I worked on some Spanish homework I received from my tutor this week, I caught up on emails and I began my next assignment for Homiletics class. I wrote a few notes to folks back home and even was able to have a conference call with my "boss" of sorts in MN. After awhile, I came back home and made myself a turkey sandwich and enjoyed an episode of my new favorite TV show: Castle (yay for being able to still download from iTunes!). Now I'm back to my studies, I've begun a book entitled "The Mission of God" which lays out the missional basis of Scripture, and I plan to spend the rest of the evening reading, journaling, praying, and might finish out the night with a movie :)
It has been a wonderful day spent all by myself (for the most part), and I am thankful that a PRD is part of my job description. I would highly recommend taking a PRD in any profession. When you can remove yourself from your normal routine and are able to focus on what God has laid before you - wow. Try it.

1 comment:

cathimommy said...

Great advice Bethany--yep, I am still working at that 22 months into this job....maybe during camp I can squeeze a couple in--that is probably when I had my last few PRDs!

Hugs,
Cathi