Monday, May 18, 2009

A foreigner's observations

It is pretty much impossible to descend into a foreign culture without consistently comparing it to your own. This in itself is not a negative thing, and I have come to believe that it is only natural. But in my travels I have experienced (or maybe better said is, “overheard”) such a wide range of observations made about cultures, based on cultures, with attitudes of joy and bitterness. I’ve noticed that one’s reactions to that which is different results not from an over abundance of difference, but of the state of the heart. “Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks” – I am often reminded of this verse as I sit and observe foreign culture, and foreigners within a foreign culture, and I find that these words of scripture are altogether true. I’ve tried to be disciplined in how I observe these new cultures I am being blessed to rent time in. I try to observe with a pure heart, not with bitterness or in longing for home, but to seek valuable interpretations of this culture in a healthy manner. This being said, I want to share with you some of the things I’ve observed in my two weeks living in Lima.

-Because all of the walls and buildings here are made out of concrete, it is often colder inside my apartment than outside, even in the midst of winter here.

-Toilets here do not come equipped with toilet seats. When you are lucky enough to have found a toilet with a seat, it is most likely to be uncomfortable. I have yet to try out a toilet in Lima that is cushy for my tushy.

- There is a courtesy in this world that defies culture. Example: I went to the grocery store tonight to buy juice and sprite for my tummy, and it was incredibly busy and lines were long. I got into a line that only had carts in front of me, the immediate one being used by a very precious elderly couple who had filled their cart to the brim. Upon noticing me and my two items, they insisted that I go in front of them. Though they had waited their turn, they touched me with a selfless love that impressed me so much that I had to tell you all about it.

That’s it so far. I’ll keep you posted as I spend more time here and meet more people and make more observations.

1 comment:

Cathi in Costa Rica said...

Nice observations...I would have to agree, and I am praying that you will find some cushiness sometime in the near future!

Hugs,
Cathi