Sunday, May 10, 2009

Don't drink the water . . . Want to guess what this post is going to be about?

Yep you guessed it! This morning I am laying in "bed", home alone at the apartment with a temperature of 100 degrees. Bummer. I am officially "enjoying my first sick experience away from home. I am told that Peru hates people's bodies and that it was bound to happen at some point.
Yesterday, Meredith, Bethany Leach and I took one of Meredith's oldest Peruvian friends along with her husband and mother to a restaurant called El Cascasal, which is a basically a little dinner theater that features buffet style Peruvian dishes and a floor show of typical folk dances. It was a fabulous experience, especially since I enjoy dance so much. Throughout each dance the performers would go out into the audience and bring people back out on the floor to dance with them. We were sitting on the second floor and I was thinking that I would be safe from such a display of humiliation. Oh no, I thought wrong. During the second dance one of the dancers ran up the stairs and came straight for me! All in all, it was pretty hilarious since these are dances I've never seen, let alone danced before. Later on in the show Bethany Leach got pulled out onto the dance floor, so we were able to laugh about the experience together.
All was going fine when about 3:00 I started to feel all achy and was chilled down to my bones, after a while my stomach started acting up and I had to high-tale it to the bathroom. Luckily I did not throw up at the fancy restaurant - gracias a dios. Meredith had plans and meetings for the rest of the day so about 4:30 Bethany Leach and I made our way home where I promptly went to bed, where I still find myself almost 17 hours later. My roommates have been so gracious to check up on me and bring me water, Meredith went out to buy me a hydrant since I gotten pretty dehydrated with all my trips to the bathroom :)

So my plans for the day are to hydrate, sleep, and maybe I'll try to get a little work done. I used to dread the first time that I would get sick away from home, without mom's little touches and cares that seem to make the world of difference. But God has graced me with kind and caring roommates, and this is sufficient.

2 comments:

Pat Brechbill said...

So excited to catch up with your travel and how things are going. Hope you feel better soon.

Ashley Hoover said...

Hope you feel better soon Bethany! It's great to have caring people around in times like that.