Saturday, March 14, 2009

What I missed telling you . . .

This past week was uncommonly busy, and I've now just realized that I have not updated you all since last Sunday. I apologize. So here is the rundown of what I missed telling you . . .

My week was filled with class as usual, but with 2 extra assignments that required I prepare and teach a total of 80 min. in Spanish. The first assignment was basically a short research project over "Los Emo" or the Emo culture in the US and in Costa Rica. This presentation was 20min long, but took a lot of prep time outside of class. The second assignment required that I teach for an hour over a controversial topic. Obviously this presentation took a lot more time to prepare, and I found myself regressing back to my college days of late nights and anxious stomach syndrome as I hurried to put together the finishing touches just in time to present to my class Friday morning. I had chosen to discuss the North American Greek System, and through in my own experiences of being in a Sorority and seeing God open doors to minister there.
Beyond a little extra homework, the week was filled with my normal Monday night aerobics class and my normal Tuesday afternoon dance class. Except this week I was given the opportunity to attend two extra dance classes for free - so of course I just couldn't turn down that offer! These aerobics and dance classes have become the highlight of my week. For me I am constantly fighting frustration and insecurity as I am consistently inadequate in this culture and language, and these classes provided me and hour and a half each week to experience the joy of something I am adequate in. I have come to love learning the dances that make up this culture I am entering into, and have been blessed by excelling in them.
Wednesday was the first day of the Beth Moore Bible study on Esther that I have decided to join along with a group of women at the Institute. I am so excited about this study not only because it is gives me more structured time in the Word, but also because this is the first time I have had the opportunity to study the scriptures with a group of women for all seasons of Life. What a blessing to be able to glean wisdom these women that love the Lord with all their hearts and souls.

After having been out-of-town for the past two weekends, I am glad to find myself at home this weekend with few plans to keep me running. Last night was one of the best night's rest I've had in awhile, and it was glorious to be able to sleep in this morning. This morning and afternoon I have been enjoying the sunshine in my backyard, working through my "homework" for Bible study and reading the third book of Francine Rivers "Mark of the Lion" series. Later this afternoon and evening I will be going downtown with some friends from school to attend an Art Festival. I have loved taking advantage of the opportunities to experience the culture here in Costa Rica, and am looking forward to checking out Tico art.

No comments: