Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Gestos

Today we have begun learning "gestos" in my Lenguaje class. I knew coming to Costa Rica I would mean that I would be learning Spanish. What I didn't know is that there is a whole language of gestures that goes with it! Class was hilarious today as we sat in our seats practicing all sorts of hilarious movements each to signify hilarious things. For example if you wanted to say:

?Que Pasa? (What's happening): opening the hands and raising the shoulders and hands simultaneously.

Comer (to eat): palm close to and facing the mouth, moving fingers towards it.

Tomar (to drink): with thumb and little finger extended, moving hand in front of mouth.

And my personal favorite,
?Bailamos? (Let's dance): making circles with the index finger in an upward motion.

It was kind of like playing charades in class today as we learned signs for "thief", "to have influence", "someone is listening", and even "to go to the bathroom". Since learning these signs, it has been so interesting to observe those around me and realize that their many gestures actually have meaning. I suppose we are not so different in the United States in how we use our hands to help us explain things, to add meaning and intensity to a story, or even show affection.

On a different note: each week in Lenguaje we have a series of assignments for each day that we prepare for our topic of discussion. For example, on Monday's we speak about our weekends - strengthening our ability to speak in the past tense; on Tuesday's we have to bring a current event to discuss, and provide a list of new vocabulary words; etc. For Thursday we have to prepare a short devotional in Spanish to share with the class. This week I chose to cover Psalm 119:9-16. After explaining my assignment to my host mom, and explaining how it is helpful for me to practice out-loud to myself, she told me to practice with her after I had prepared. I was so excited to have her offer to help me, and even though I was a little nervous sharing my short presentation with her, she listened and encouraged me well and in love corrected my mistakes. It has been so helpful, even though it has been awkward at times, to live with a Tico family. I'm finding that it is too easy to surround myself with North Americans, so I am grateful for the blessing of a family that has been willing to share their lives with me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i find myself attempting your gestures in front of the screen as i read them through. . . not cool.