Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Birthday parties and Bible studies

A few weeks ago, my host family celebrated the first birthday of their daughter, granddaughter, and niece. I was so blessed to be able to join the family in the celebration, and had even emailed a friend from home to send me some of the cutest little baby shoes from her children's boutique "Scout". I am still very fascinated by the importance place on the first birthday here. The majority of guests were adults, but the theme was still that of a child (Costa Rican cartoon characters). Check out this short video of the birthday song being sung in Spanish, and of my super cute host-niece!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=028HOxvItNk

Also, I can't remember if I shared with you all that I was starting a new Bible study with a group of women at the school. It's a Beth Moore study on the Book of Esther, and I'm pretty excited about it for a couple of reasons. The first being, that I've only ever viewed this book as a book of history. I've never seen any practical application from it other than following the example of a woman of faith. I'm really looking forward to studying the culture behind the history, the meaning of names and all that is hidden within the text. Secondly, I'm excited because this is the first opportunity I've had to study the scriptures with women from different seasons of life. The ages of the women range from 21-65 and I'm thrilled to have the chance to glean wisdom from these women that have more life and faith experience than me.

No comments: