Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Not every day is a special day

Today has been a good day. It has also been a normal day. As I continue on living life here in Costa Rica, I'm realizing that not every day has to be a fantastic, all out special, got-to-share-an-amazing-story day. I think that I've given myself some unspoken pressure with this blog to keep people up to date with amazing adventures and hilarious stories. And while I definitely want to use this blog to do that, I'm understanding that uneventful days are wonderful to share as well.
So here goes . . .

I went to school today! I went to my classes and learned about how the majority of Latinos hate confrontation and will go as long as they can without facing someone. I also took a mock test over reflexive verbs (sooooooo much easier to understand than pronouns!), and ate a delicious plate of chicken, rice and beans and potatoes for lunch. This afternoon some of the girls from school and I decided to go see a movie. Interesting fact: everything takes a long time here. The process of going to the movie took an amazing total of 5 hours. We met at the school at 2:30 and took two different buses to the TerraMall and got there by 3:30 which gave us plenty of time to get to our 4:00 movie. Leaving TerraMall at 6:30, we took our two buses back home arriving at 7:30. It's funny to me how simple things like going to a movie can be back at home. I imagined getting in my car, driving 10min. to watch a 2-hour movie, and then driving 10min. back home again. One amazing thing about Costa Rica is that my eyes have been opened to all of the MANY things I took for granted at home, but never realized. I'll go ahead and give you a quick/short list so you can understand where I'm coming from.

Things I miss the most:
1. Carpet
2. Being able to walk around bare-foot in the house (can't do it because there is no carpet anywhere here. The only time I'm bare-foot is when I'm in bed.)
3. Homemade chocolate chip cookies
4. Peace of mind when I walk around by myself
5. Bathtubs

These are small and unimportant things that are definitely not necessities of life, and one can easily do without them. But they are still comforts of home that I definitely took for granted. Moral of the story? - Be very thankful next time you return home from a long walk in the park, and immediately take off your shoes while grabbing a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie on your way up carpeted stairs to enjoy a most glorious bubble bath.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We got your great little treat last night. That was soooo nice of you! Cohen watched it like 17 times in a row before we told him he had to stop:) Thanks for the nice note too. I called Jason today to ask about your friend Sunshine. He didn't seem to have a clue except that you did infact have a friend with that name:) You will have to inform him on some of her details.
We had TV night the other night. Still doesn't feel right without you. I'm getting to the point fo enough is enough. We miss seeing your bright, shining face. Come home already!!! I know, I know, not the thing I am supposed to be saying.
Sorry I haven't written in awhile. I have been in a bit of a fog over my cousin's little girl Cora. Jason probably told you, then again, may not:) You should check out there blog at themcclenahans.blogspot.com They are amazing!!!!
Thanks again for the great surprise. That was soooo nice of you. We miss you a ton and pray for you daily. Take care of yourself,Andi