Monday, January 18, 2010

Discipling without a coffee shop

Maybe you will laugh at the title of my entry today, but while funny, I've realized that when it comes to discipling, I really only know how to do it on the terms of our North American culture. Meeting regularly each week in a coffee shop style location, talking about the frustrations of life, love, friends and the Father, reading the Word, studying it and praying over it, laughing and enjoying a tight relationship where you have the complete freedom to share any sorrow or any secret.
But like everything else, discipling looks differently here when there are no coffee shops to go to and girls my age work 12-hour days 7 days a week. When would they have the time to go with me to a coffee shop even if they existed in Tarma? How does one disciple someone else, when there is no time during the day to meet individually with them? Do you invade their work space? Follow them home during their lunch hour? Meet at 11:30pm? Maybe. The girls that work at Chichos get one two days off every two weeks. I mean that they work two weeks straight, and then they get the American equivalent of a weekend, followed by another two weeks of work. How do I meet them where they are at?

Maybe you can see my dilemma - the trouble of discipling "without a coffee shop".

How did Jesus do it? He had 12 full time followers. Ideal, but not realistic in Tarma :) How did the disciples do it? They met in homes, on the street, went to where the people were. How will I go about discipling Peruvians in their own culture? I'm still not sure, but I'm sure I give a couple ideas a go before finding one that works. Just as servanthood is culturally defined, discipling too has its own cultural definition, one that I desperately need to be learning.

No comments: