Saturday, January 16, 2010

24- but Jack Bower didn't show





Well, it has arrived, my 24th birthday and second consecutive birthday in Latin America. Not a bad day, although I was rudely awakened by Pacha the dog this morning when she decided it was too lonely to be in the kitchen all by herself, and someone had to come and keep her company. Beyond that, I was able to chat with my parents and receive a few surprises at the post office today! I spent the afternoon baking myself a birthday pumpkin roll (so delicious here’s the recipe if you’re interested: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/cakes/festive-pumpkin-cream-cheese-roll/)
I will admit that it doesn’t feel much like a birthday, although I’ve received some calls from friends and received some birthday wishes in the street. Maybe it’s just that as you get older the birthday anticipation doesn’t present itself in the same way as when you were little. The day is special because I am now a year older, but really it feels like every other day. It’s not a bad thing - I didn’t really want to make a big deal out of it this year.
So instead of friends and family, I have teammates and roommates and we celebrated with homemade pizza and a romantic comedy! Poor Julio, but he is a good sport, and sat through a movie that had the three of us girls bawling our eyes out :) It was a lovely evening and overall a really good birthday. I also had some friends stop by unexpectedly with a big birthday cake! It was Lucas and Diana from the Language Institute! I was so blessed by their thoughtfulness and desire to celebrate with me.
Reflecting on the past year always makes one sober as you recall the moments of failure, hurt and disappointment, and at the same time the blessing of joy at recalling the moments of success, satisfaction and contentment. I would say that I’ve had my share of the good and the bad this past year, and most likely that won’t change with being one year older. God has been ever so faithful, and I know that there is no way that I would have gotten through the past year without his gentle encouragement and constant strength and care. So at the end of the day I thank the Lord for one more year of Life, and pray that this coming year will be filled with joy, wisdom and love.

No comments: