Tuesday, December 22, 2009

With only three days until Christmas . . .

I grew up with a mountain of Christmas traditions, some of which being typical of most families and some being specific to mine. I loved these traditions growing up, baking Christmas goodies with my mom while listening to Christmas music, decorating the tree, and watching all of the classics. I loved that every Christmas Eve we eat our customary chicken noodle soup and cinnamon roll dinner followed up with the most delicious pie in the world – grasshopper pie. But seriously, who eats ice cream pie in December? My family! So this year is definitely strange since I’m wearing tank tops in place of parkas, and we will be going to beach instead of going sledding. Needless to say a Christmas Eve BBQ is going to be replacing the chicken noodle soup and cinnamon rolls, although I think that watching a few Christmas classics will still work out this year. As I think through the many changes of the past year, and how Christmas is going to be as different as everything else, I realize that the thing that is so wonderful about Christmas is that even if it is being celebrated differently, it is still celebrated. The meaning of Christmas doesn’t change with the traditions, climate and location in the world. Christ still came into the world as a baby in a manger, and today is celebrated by Christians around the world. So the most familiar part of Christmas ultimately stays the same, the only difference being that I’m singing Noche de Paz in place of Silent night.

“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called, Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” - Isaiah 9:6

No comments: