Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Parades, Lonches and Yellow Eyeballs

Today is the local celebration of two holidays: Tarma Day (26th) and Fiestas Patrias (28th-29th). The festivities are beginning this morning at 11:00 with a parade of all of the local schools and institutions, including my school, Stephen Hawking. Today I was going to be in my very first parade. I had to buy a tailored skirt, a blouse and vest and black heels for this event, but it was going to be well worth it to experience the joy that my students were exuding by being able to parade with their school. Unfortunately Hepatitis A is apparently quite contagious, so I’ve been quarantined to my home for the next couple of weeks. Okay, quarantined is a little dramatic, but the doctor said I should be teaching and making contact with large groups of people. So, being a little disappointed, I am staying home from the festivities today. Actually, I’ll be going out in a couple hours for my follow-up appointment at the clinic to see if the doctor has anything new to share.
Apart from the festivities I was going to participate in, I was also hosting a lonche (a dinner/tea/part) for my freshman girls at school. I had invited them over to share fun food, games, and some scrapbooking activities with me this evening, which of course now I will also have to cancel. All in all, this lonche will be fairly easy to reschedule, but it is difficult for me not to be able to do much right now. I feel fine apart from fatigue and having freaky yellow eyeballs, but I’m not supposed to over-exert myself, nor spend time around a lot of people, which in the end kind of prevents me from doing my job here. Please be praying for a quick recovery so that I can get back out there and finish the work I came here to do :)

No comments: