Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Heart Check

“This is how we know we are in Him: Whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did.” 1 John 2:6

Over the past two weeks I’ve had a lot of time on my own to meditate on God’s word, and on my own spiritual life. It’s been an interesting process to turn over the rocks in my life and see what is really living underneath, where people can’t see. I’ve had to come to terms with the fact that I’ve become a different person here in Peru, and I’ve had to deal with some of the more negative side-effects of being here. For example, while I’ve gotten past culture shock and learning how to work with a team of personalities that are very different from mine, I’ve still maintained an attitude of frustration and a lack of grace for the people and situations around me. My natural reaction to most things is, “What is wrong with people!!!!” which, I will admit is not the holiest mindset. So I’ve spent some time reflecting over the above verse and the entire book of 1 John to remind myself what it truly means to love.
I can’t say that I’ve had a great revelation, or that I’ve turned a 180 in my attitude and mindset, but little by little I think God is softening my heart to the circumstances around me. I think I’m more aware of my failings which, then allows me to make a change, and hopefully face these final six months with a joy and a peace that passes all understanding.

No comments: