Thursday, August 13, 2009

Our Landlords

So our landlords here in Tarma are 67 and 72. The cutest elderly couple I’ve seen here. La Señora got married to the Señor when she was 16 years-old and together they have 9 children, two of which still live in the home. This couple is super impressive to me. This morning I watched from my window as the Señora hand-washed clothes in the backyard washing sink, while the Señor climbed up a rickety old ladder to white wash the building next to the washing sink. I was tickeled to hear the Señor express concern for her “Viejo”, old man, as he scaled up to the roof. I wish I could have taken a picture without disturbing the beautiful scene, just to visibly show you why I was touched. The Señores live very simply, hand washing clothes, weeding the garden, fixing broken doors and white washing the home. They are hard workers, yet you can tell that life here hasn’t been easy. This is why they are impressive to me. They work well and joyfully because they know no different. I think a lot of us could learn from our landlords.

No comments: