Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Finally "Home"

Well, I’ve finally made it. We are “home” in Tarma and are in the midst of unpacking the many boxes that somehow made it on the moving truck. Little by little we are making our new house a home. We’ve been in Tarma just about a week now, and it has been fun to learn the different parts of town. We’ve found a lot of important places, and are getting to know a lot of the shop owners as we discover where to buy meat, produce, furniture, and household goods. So far we’ve unpacked the kitchen (one of the more important rooms of the house), and have been responsible for our own rooms. We still haven’t touched the living room, and it sounds like that will be our project for tomorrow. I’m making my room my own, and have built a chest of drawers and put up my desk and a few shelves. When we came a month ago to look at the house, the owners let us pick out the paint that we would like in our rooms. I had chosen a nice cream for two walls and a rosy red for the other two – but when we arrived, I discovered that my red somehow became Barbie pink! So I’ve digressed to my six-year old self and am settling into my bright pink bedroom  Oh well. Overall I really like our apartment. The only downer is that the floors get really cold in the mornings and at night, but really that’s not so bad. We got the internet hooked up yesterday, so I’m just now getting this update out to all of you.

Thank you all who prayed so faithfully for us doing the moving process and all the preparations we had to take care of before leaving town. I have been blessed by your prayers, and I’m certain God has given me extra strength because of them. So for now, we continue to establish ourselves in Tarma. Each week we plan on visiting a different church to establish a good relationship with them, and to make it clear that our purpose here in Tarma is not to rob their sheep  but, we won’t be starting any formal ministry for a few weeks yet, and are still in the midst of some planning there. My prayer is that God would allow us to be established well before running to and fro. I’m thankful for all He has done in the past three months, and that we are now on the verge of getting involved with people’s lives. For me I have been out of formal ministry for almost an entire year, so I’m anxious for God to speak through me once again.
I confess that as I anticipate ministry responsibility, I find myself a little nervous and scared. It has been a long time since I’ve discipled anyone, and frankly, I feel a little out of practice. And adding the pressure of speaking biblical truth in another language is intimidating in itself. But God is bigger than my inabilities and I am certain that He will be faithful to do what I cannot. Glory.

1 comment:

JEM said...

Thank God you're there and getting settled. Moving into my new city on Saturday! Thinking of you and hoping to skype maybe next week!