Tuesday, July 28, 2009

What? The beans aren't precooked here?

It's been really cold here this week, and last night I decided that I was fed up with the weather and went to the store to get the fixings for BBQ Chili. Oh so delicious. The recipe calls for three different types of beans: red beans, black beans, and a can of baked beans. So, I went to the store to buy the beans and a few other things needed, and came back to start preparing the Chili. I've never cooked these kinds of beans before but thought to myself, "I'll just pop them in a pot of boiling water for 20min. or so, that should be enough to get them ready to be chilified". So after 20 minutes I checked the pot and discovered that the beans were still hard. "That's funny", I thought to myself, "I was sure they would be ready by now." I decided I'd give them 20 more min, and finished up the rest of the chili. Of course, as you mom's can probably guess, when I went to check the beans a second time I discovered that they were still hard. At this point I check the package of beans I bought and did not find anywhere the word "pre-cocido", "pre-cooked". At this point Soña, our maid, informs me that you have to put the beans in a pot the night before you want to use them so that they can soak all night. Then they take about an hour to cook the next morning. Oops. Doomed Chili.
Actually, we went ahead and ate it with just one of the three types of beans, and it still turned out pretty delicious. Note for future reference: The beans aren’t precooked here :)

No comments: