Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Welcome home to Tarma, The land of things that don’t work well!

Last night Meredith and I arrived “home” to Tarma, and I spent the evening unpacking and organizing my room as well as catching up on some emails and budgeting things. I was exhausted by the travels and the stress of getting luggage to and fro, that I konked out at 9:30 last night. Oh how joyous to be tired and able to go to bed ridiculously early! I slept so well, and woke up fully rested and awake this morning at 8:00, thrilled to have all morning to get things done. About five minutes after I woke up I realized that Tarma gave me my first “welcome back” gift - - - of no electricity. Yes, I do live in the land of things that don’t work well. The power goes out on average once every two weeks or so, but it goes out without warning or advanced notice, and is usually out for at least 8 hours. Bummer, there went part of my morning plans of getting work things done. But really, the day has turned out well. I spent the afternoon catching up on my “teacher duties” for my English classes at Stephen Hawking High School. Meredith was my substitute teacher for two weeks, so I have two weeks of homework assignments and a quiz to grade. Lots to catch up on, but I think I will have everything ready for my classes tomorrow and Thursday. I had my first team meeting since being back with Meredith and Julio – Elsa is taking a few vacation days in Lima this week and won’t be back until Thursday. The meeting went well, and we are now starting to prepare our next round of bible studies on: “How to study the Bible”.
In addition to new Bible studies, God has opened the door for us to do weekly devotionals on the Bible and on ethics/values at several of the schools we did sports camps at with the TBarM team that came last month. This morning I was able to go with Meredith to the all girls school to lead a lesson on “What are the most important things in life”, and the girls responded very positively to it. It’s looking to be a busy few months for us, but an exciting few months at that. I’m thankful for the doors God is opening and the opportunities we will have to continue spreading his truths in and throughout Tarma.

No comments: